On January 20th, the DMACC women’s basketball team knocked off nationally ranked Southeastern Community College 73-61 in what appeared to most as just another win. Little did we know Coach Steve Krafcisin, had achieved a major milestone. With that win Krafcisin, won his 400th game as a head coach and is closing in on 300 wins at DMACC.
“I owe it all to the fine men and women who have let me be their head coach.” Krafcisin said. “I hope my current and former players will be proud to know of our accomplishments.”
Krafcisin other milestone’s include:
- Bears have placed 81 players on Academic All-Region teams
- Placed 37 players at four year institutions
- Ten of Krafcisin’s twelve teams reached 20 win
- Two of Coach K’s former players are currently on staff as assistant coaches; Jocelyn (Anderson) Kovarik (2005-07) & Ellie (Ritscher) Paciorek (2007-09)
- 4 All-Americans: London Vais 2015-16, Jocelyn Anderson Kovarik (became the first female athlete at DMACC NJCAA All-American for two consecutive years) 2005-07, Carlee Schuhmacher 2012-13 & 2013-14, Katlyn Wood 2010-11
Krafcisin led teams put in major work in the classroom. 4 of the last 5 years DMACC women’s basketball has maintained the highest team GPA in Iowa among all women’s basketball community college programs. In 2016-2017 we were ranked #1 in the nation by National Junior College Athletic Association. Coach values the term student-athlete in that order, to play for him you have to get it done on and off the court.
Congratulation to our Coach for all of his achievements, and all that he does for DMACC and in our community. DMACC is a much better place with you as one of our leaders.